X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 sprinter key will not turn

help...i just bought a 2007 2500 sprinter with less than 70,000 miles. Took it home from dealer and started to put shelves in it the next day. when to move it so the wife could get into the driveway, and the key would not turn in the ignition. tried the other key..nothing. tried to reset electrical system by pulling elecric isolation plug ( near acceleration peda) ng. im at my wits endl

The steering wheel lock will sometimes do that.
    Put the key in and try turning the steering wheel a bit each way while you turn the key.

Comment

i tried that, and ng. i also checked the volts of the batt and it was ok...????

Comment

Does the steering column unlock?

Comment

the steering column does not turn, and the usual noise that happens when i put in the key doesnt happen...help....

Comment

The way the system works is; when the key is inserted it is being read by the ingnition switch, which is actually a module (EIS/CGW module). This module sends a signal to the Steering Column module (mounted about half way down on the column under the dash) to release the locking pin so you can turn the wheel. Once the pin is released (that "zzzzztt" sound you hear when inserting the key) another signal is sent back to the EIS/CGW telling that module to allow the key to turn (can you say "overengineered"?). Only then will the key turn. Lack of battery power; no key turn, bad module; no key turn, loss of communications; no key turn, cat box isn't clean; no key turn (ok maybe the cat box thing is a bit much). Bottom line is check & make sure you have at least 12 volts (Sprinter's aren't very tolerant of low voltage). If you still have no luck, I can tell you how to cheat some of the system. (I'm a factory trained Sprinter tech) hope this helps.

Comment

same issue here steering wheel just clicks

i am stuck can this be bypassed

Comment

Ok, how do you cheat the systems. My 2008 Sprinter 2500 is in the shop right now with this problem.

Comment

Try this Sprinter-Forum - View Single Post - Key wont turn need help

Comment

question

hi pal i have a problem as well i one of my customers has a 57 plate sprinter it had the steering lock fault so i changed that and been working fine untill today iv tried every thing both keys battery everything but cant get the key to turn how can i buy pass this steering lock moduel can you help thanks nick my email is nick@soswales.co.uk

Originally posted by Rare Bear View Post
                    The way the system works is; when the key is inserted it is being read by the ingnition switch, which is actually a module (EIS/CGW module). This module sends a signal to the Steering Column module (mounted about half way down on the column under the dash) to release the locking pin so you can turn the wheel. Once the pin is released (that "zzzzztt" sound you hear when inserting the key) another signal is sent back to the EIS/CGW telling that module to allow the key to turn (can you say "overengineered"?). Only then will the key turn. Lack of battery power; no key turn, bad module; no key turn, loss of communications; no key turn, cat box isn't clean; no key turn (ok maybe the cat box thing is a bit much). Bottom line is check & make sure you have at least 12 volts (Sprinter's aren't very tolerant of low voltage). If you still have no luck, I can tell you how to cheat some of the system. (I'm a factory trained Sprinter tech) hope this helps.

Comment

The steering wheel lock will sometimes do that.
                      Put the key in and try turning the steering wheel a bit each way while you turn the key.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pinelands View Post
                        i am stuck can this be bypassed
                        Get under where the pedals and column are remove the white plug spray some wd40 on them put the plug back on then like a starter motor give it a tap or two whilst jiggling the key. This has worked many times for me as a patrol man.
                        good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X