Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have good experiences over long haul with these?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have good experiences over long haul with these?

Hi all,

I'm considering a 2006 or 2007 Sprinter based MH conversion. I will be using it as a mobile office/living unit for most of a year and after that it will be a long travel unit for my wife and I. I expect to put on heavy mileage. Otherwise, I'd just go Ford. I want the fule efficiency...

What I see here in this forem is mostly rather alarming problems people are having with these vans. But -- this info seems to conflict with what people from the UK report about them.

What is the real poop here? Are these vans lemons? Input please.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, my experience is that the repair costs will far out way your fuel savings. I would run to the nearest ford or chevy dealer. I can only think in europe or the UK that the vans they sell here are all the returns from there.

Comment

markafd...if your so against the sprinter WHy do you keep coming in here? Theres alot of us out here who haven't had any or few problems with them especially 05 and up.

Comment

Ken, if my posts sound negative there is a good reason and it is the lack of customer support from chrysler, the lack of facilities that will work on them, the costs of repairs (almost 10k) in 2007 and that does not include loss of income while down. when the vehicle is running its a nice vehicle. I like the site because sometimes you can get a little help without spending thousands at a shop. Ken if you work for chrysler I can see why you would question me but the file on my 2004 is a inch thick and thats fact. after my last 4k repair in nov. I think anyone wanting to purchase a sprinter should hear the good with the bad and experiences are not limited to me I have a list of others with same problems. and by what I read here there is a lot more. Like everyone else in the expedite world it loooked to be a message sent from the lord but it was a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Comment

Absolutely....need to hear both sides.

Just got out of the dealers in Tucson....engine light came on 3 times in the last 10 days "minor fault code" It was a glow plug and module only about 35 bucks...ALSO I lost about 2 mpg somewhere....they did an injector flush and bingo I found the 2 mpgs back....I WAS using an additive to help clean them but not now....just a waste of money. But then again with 259,000 miles MAYBE the cleaner just delayed the inevitable.

Comment

ken, my experience with glow plugs is if you change one the others will be going soon. I recommend when the next one goes just have them all changed and save the diagnostics fees for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by markafd
              ken, my experience with glow plugs is if you change one the others will be going soon. I recommend when the next one goes just have them all changed and save the diagnostics fees for the rest.
              I mentioned that the computer would prolly pick off the first defective plug in order 1 thru 5 down the row....dealer only had one in stock or I would have changed them all since I was being charged for his hands in there anyhow.

23.4 mpg last night up from the 20.5 average so it was either the filter or flush that did the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                Absolutely....need to hear both sides.

Just got out of the dealers in Tucson....engine light came on 3 times in the last 10 days "minor fault code" It was a glow plug and module only about 35 bucks...ALSO I lost about 2 mpg somewhere....they did an injector flush and bingo I found the 2 mpgs back....I WAS using an additive to help clean them but not now....just a waste of money. But then again with 259,000 miles MAYBE the cleaner just delayed the inevitable.
                Now up to 329,000 miles and no big repair bills...

Comment

I have an 05 that now has 299,000 miles on it. I find that it's a little inconvenient to get it serviced sometimes, but in general, I have had really good luck with it. I know that many folks had problems with Sprinters especially pre 2005 units but I don't think mine has cost me more than any other make would have.

Comment

TJ.. I am with you on this....i have 337,000 and no real problems.

Comment

I have a 2006, 118" wheel base, low roof unit. It has 110,000 miles on it. i use it for daily work, and to tow a 20 Ft enclosed pace trailer to and from the races on the weekends. I would say the mileage is about 20% with trailer.

I have only had a one minor mechanical issue with the van- (blown resonator) I'm on my second set of tires.

I track my fuel mileage on this site: Gaslog data for Dodge Sprinter Van

I am still looking for ways to improve mileage. (slowing down not being one of th choices)

Comment

My rant

As an old retiree I have to concur with the above sentiments regarding problems. I fell in love with these new sprinters but boy, why so many problems. Yes, many owners have no problems at all, or they are in a position where either it's expected or it's not a financial issue. At present I only drive a little Toyota panel van. No, it's not a Sprinter but should that make a difference. If one can bake a little party pie that tastes great, you can make a family pie just as good. Silly?. No not really. Reliability can be had if there is a will to do so. While no one complains and the vehicles keep selling, why should they (MB) bother?

While I'm am happy to divest my pension to buy a good vehicle, I expect to just get in, start it and drive it blind for the next 10(?) years. Why not? They are commercial vehicles after all, driven by all comers spinning the ringer out of them. That's why I choose to drive commercial vehicles, cars are worse. Not so long ago vehicles were reliable or at least easily fixed DIY. And are they really any better? economy is much the same, comfort is not the cause of failure, handling is not the failure, stuff that really benefits us is good like brakes and suspension is not the failure. No it's the electronics mostly. Apart from complexity I fail to see any great benefit by their inclusion.

And the concept that owners are fools, so lets take the maintenance out of their hands. Modifications? hell why would you want to do that. We are the Lords you're just a customer. _ I had to add the last bit

Comment

Goood Sprinter Bad Sprinter.

I'm approaching 200K on my 06. I think it takes a while to wean the truck off the dealer service. Find a good local mechanic who can tend to the truck. Some of the problems I have had were simple, it's the isolating them that is a bitch. Currently mine is sitting in the drive in and I'm going out today to find a reasonably effective OBD reader. Collapsed Charge air hose and bad performance. I'm suspecting a plug in relay etc. I would buy another sprinter before anything else I've seen on the market. Handling, fuel efficiency, and comfort are all good.

Comment

sprinter driver for over ten years.

I have five sprinter van right now, the only way I can do business is to do all the repairs myself It is not so hard once you get in the swing of it.

One sprinter a bought, a 2001 gave me endless trouble till I got hardcore with it myself Cylinder head off, all that.

So far so good.

All in all I would not have any other vans, good luck with you vans, but you must educate yourself or the garage bills will eat you alive.

Comment

my 05 158" just turned 600,000 miles....no big problems...

Comment

Working...
                              X